Spring site: Mill Colonnade
Location: On the left bank of the Teplá River in the spa centre of Karlovy Vary
Date of first interception: 16th century
Yield: Between 4 and 7 litres per minute
CO2 content: 600 mg per litre
Accessibility: Freely accessible
How to get there
Route 1: You may reach the Mill Colonnade if you start from the Hot Spring in the city centre and walk down Tržiště (Market) Street and Lázeňská (Spa) Street along the Market Colonnade on the left bank of the Teplá River. The spring seep is located inside the promenade hall of the Mill Colonnade. The short walk through the spa centre is approximately 500 metres long and takes about 10 minutes.
Route 2: The second alternative is to travel by Bus No. 1 or Bus No. 4 from the "Tržnice" (Market) city bus terminal to the "Lázně III" (Spa III) terminal stop. From there, walk about 200 metres across Lázeňský most (Spa Bridge) over the Teplá River and continue along Mlýnské nábřeží (Mill Embankment) directly to the Mill Colonnade.
The spring originally rising from the bed of the Teplá River has been known since the 16th century. From the mid 18th century, however, it became known as Nový pramen (New Spring) due to its growing popularity among the spa guests. At first, a simple shelter had been built over the spring seep in the vicinity of the Mlýnské lázně (Mill Spa). A new wooden promenade hall, the first of its kind in Karlovy Vary, was erected over the spring between 1792 and 1793. The colonnade allowed the spa guests to come to the spring also in bad weather. And spa physicians diagnosed their patients directly at the spring seep.
In the early 19th century, the New Spring thus became more popular and more sought after than the remaining springs in Karlovy Vary. In 1811, the original wooden structure was replaced by the New Spring Colonnade constructed by builder Johann August Giessel in Empire style, which in turn gave way to the stone Mill Colonnade built according to the design of Josef Zítek between 1871 and 1881.