Spring site: Mill Colonnade
Location: On the left bank of the Teplá River in the spa centre of Karlovy Vary
Date of first interception: 16th century
Yield: 4.5 litres per minute
CO2 content: 600 mg per litre
Accessibility: Freely accessible
How to get there
Route 1: You may reach the Mill Colonnade if you start from the Hot Spring in the city spa centre and walk down Tržiště (Market) Street and Lázeňská (Spa) Street along the Market Colonnade on the left bank of the Teplá River. The spring seep is located inside the promenade hall of the Mill Colonnade. The short walk through the spa centre is approximately 500 metres long and takes about 10 minutes.
Route 2: The second alternative is to travel by Bus No. 1 or Bus No. 4 from the "Tržnice" (Market) city bus terminal to the "Lázně III" (Spa III) terminal stop. From there, walk about 200 metres across Lázeňský most (Spa Bridge) over the Teplá River and continue along Mlýnské nábřeží (Mill Embankment) directly to the Mill Colonnade.
The Mill Spring has been known since the 16th century and it belongs among the oldest captured thermal springs in Karlovy Vary. Its name is derived from a mill that had stood on the nearby bank of the Teplá River until the 18th century. The Mill Spring was one of the first waters to be recommended for drinking cures in 1705. From 1711, the spring was drawn inside the new Baroque building of Mlýnské lázně (Mill Spa). Its mineral waters were mainly used for curative baths in those times.
During a radical renovation of Mlýnské nábřeží (Mill Embankment) and the construction of an extension of the New Spring Colonnade in 1827, the old building of the Mill Spa was demolished and replaced by a new Mill Spring Pavilion, which gave way to the stone Mill Colonnade built according to the design of Josef Zítek between 1871 and 1881. The mineral water of the Mill Spring was subsequently bottled and distributed all over the world.