Rock Spring

10th mineral spring of Karlovy Vary

Spring site: Mill Colonnade
Location: On the left bank of the Teplá River in the spa centre of Karlovy Vary
Date of first interception: 1845
Temperature: 48°C
Yield: 2.2 litres per minute
CO2 content: 650 mg per litre
Accessibility: Freely accessible

How to get there

Route 1:        You may reach the Mill Colonnade if you walk from the Hot Spring in the city centre up Tržiště (Market) Street and Lázeňská (Spa) Street along the Market Colonnade on the left bank of the Teplá River. The spring seep is located in the extension of the stone promenade hall under Bernardova skála (Bernard's Rock). The short walk through the spa centre is approximately 500 metres long and takes about 10 minutes.

Route 2:        The second alternative is to travel by Bus No. 1 or Bus No. 4 from the "Tržnice" (Market) city bus terminal to the "Lázně III" (Spa III) terminal stop. From there, walk about 200 metres across Lázeňský most (Spa Bridge) over the Teplá River and continue along Mlýnské nábřeží (Mill Embankment) directly to the Mill Colonnade.

The Rock Spring originally rose directly from the bed of the Teplá River. A pool below Bernard's Rock was called Horse Bath back then as it was used for bathing horses. The spring was first drawn in 1845 after a part of the rock massif had been hewn and removed. Simple wooden shelters were subsequently built over the spring seep.

In 1892, a new pavilion, designed by distinguished Czech architect Josef Zítek, was erected over the Rock Spring as a part of the extension of the Mill Colonnade. The Rock Spring is drawn from the entrails of Bernard's Rock by means of several, up to 30-metre deep wells.

Location

Mapa hotelu

Rock Spring


About Karlovy Vary

Karlovy Vary is absolutely unique in the number of curative hot springs in the world.

More about Karlovy Vary

Ready to help

The website is operated by the Information centre Karlovy Vary, contact us.

Contact the Tourist information centre