Location: In Divadelní náměstí (Theatre Square) between the Hot Spring Colonnade and the theatre in the spa centre of Karlovy Vary
Date of foundation: 1912
Official opening: 1912
Accessibility: Freely accessible
How to get there
Route 1: The park is located at Divadelní Square in the spa centre. The distance from the open space in front of the Hot Spring Colonnade to the park is just 50 metres.
Route 2: The second alternative is to travel by Bus No. 2 from the Tržnice (Market) city bus terminal to the "Divadelní náměstí" (Theatre Square) terminal stop, which is located right next to the park.
History of the site
The area of the present-day Divadelní náměstí (Theatre Square) between the Hot Spring Colonnade and the Municipal Theatre had been built-up by many original buildings at the end of the 19th century, such as the Golden Shield, the Red House, the Two Trouts, the Diadem or the Blue Ship with the theatre café. When the Town Council of Karlovy Vary bought the buildings in 1909, it promised to build a modern spa house in their place.
Unfortunately, the grand plans were called off after three years of controversies, and a small formal park was established here instead, with the support of local citizens. In 1966, a bronze monument to Vladimir Ilyich Lenin was erected in the then Lenin Square. An artist of national importance, Jan Lauda, initially worked on the monument, however, it was ultimately completed by local sculptor Václav Relich. Following a change in the political system, the monument was removed in 1990. The park in Divadelní náměstí was the last independently executed park project in Karlovy Vary.