Mill Colonnade

Stone colonnade built in Pseudo-Renaissance style

Location: On the left bank of the Teplá River in the spa centre of Karlovy Vary
Period of construction: Between 1871 and 1881
Architect: Josef Zítek
Official opening: 5 June 1881
Springs: Mlýnský pramen (Mill Spring), pramen Rusalka (Rusalka Spring), Pramen knížete Václava (Prince Wenceslas Spring), pramen Libuše (Libuše Spring) and Skalní pramen (Rock Spring)
Accessibility: Freely accessible

How to get there

Route 1:        You may reach the Mill Colonnade if you walk from the Hot Spring in the city centre across Tržiště (Market) Street and up Lázeňská Street along Tržní kolonáda (Market Colonnade) on the left bank of the Teplá River. The spring seeps are located inside the promenade hall of the Mill Colonnade. The short walk through the spa centre is approximately 500 metres long and takes about 10 minutes.

Route 2:        The second alternative is to travel by Bus No. 1 or Bus No. 4 from the "Tržnice" (Market) city bus terminal to the "Lázně III" (Spa III) terminal stop. From there, walk about 200 metres across Lázeňský most (Spa Bridge) over the Teplá River and continue along Mlýnské nábřeží (Mill Embankment) directly to the Mill Colonnade.

History of the structure

The first wooden promenade hall was built over Nový pramen (New Spring) next to the former Mill Bath between the years 1792 and 1793.

It was the first structure of its kind in Karlovy Vary that allowed the spa guests to enjoy the waters of the springs also in unfavourable weather. In the early 19th century, the New Spring thus became more popular and more sought after than the remaining springs in Karlovy Vary. In 1811, the original wooden structure was replaced by the New Spring Colonnade, which was constructed also from wood by Dresden builder Johann August Giessel in Empire style.

The present-day Mill Colonnade was built in Pseudo-Renaissance style according to the design of distinguished Czech architect Josef Zítek between the years 1871 and 1881. The grand opening of the colonnade took place on 5 June 1881 at the occasion of the start of the spa season. During 1891 and 1892, a part of Bernardova skála (Bernard's Rock) was cut and removed and a new north pavilion over the seep of the Rock Spring was added to the colonnade. The largest colonnade in Karlovy Vary houses the seeps of five mineral springs. The attic gable is decorated with 12 sandstone allegorical statues representing the months of the year by sculptors Alfred Schreiber and Karl Wilfert. The orchestra pit is adorned with allegorical reliefs by local sculptor Václav Lokvenc.

Inside the largest colonnade in Karlovy Vary, you may find the seeps of five mineral springs: the Mill Spring, the Rusalka Spring, the Prince Wenceslas Spring, the Libuše Spring, and the Rock Spring.


Mapa hotelu

Mill Colonnade

About Karlovy Vary

Karlovy Vary is absolutely unique in the number of curative hot springs in the world.

More about Karlovy Vary

Ready to help

The website is operated by the Information centre Karlovy Vary, contact us.

Contact the Tourist information centre