31. 1. 2013 | History
The richly decorated cast-iron colonnade was originally a part of a two-wing roofed promenade veranda of the Blanenský Pavilion in Dvořákovy sady (Dvořák's Park) behind Vojenský lázeňský ústav (Army Spa Institution). The concert and restaurant hall was assembled from cast-iron parts made at the Blansko Iron Works. It was constructed by local builder Josef Waldert according to the design of famous Viennese architects Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer between the years 1880 and 1881. The grand opening of the complex took place on 5 June 1881 at the occasion of the start of the spa season.
In 1965, the Blanenský Pavilion and a part of the double-wing promenade veranda had become so dilapidated that they had to be demolished. Only the east promenade wing, which is known as the Park Colonnade today, has been preserved from the vast complex. Between the years 2000 and 2002, the city of Karlovy Vary launched an extensive reconstruction of the colonnade. The seep of the Snake Spring has been newly brought out to the colonnade during the reconstruction and the seep of Sadový pramen (Park Spring) is also accessible from the Park Colonnade, namely in the underground premises of Vojenský lázeňský ústav (Army Spa Institution).