The tradition of the Karlovy Vary spa treatment is founded on the unique and rare natural resource - mineral water, the healing effects of which have been proven by centuries of practical experience.
The quality of mineral water has remained unchanged for centuries. The local mineral springs contain most elements of the periodic table and more than 40 elements vital for the human body are analysed on a general basis.
The Karlovy Vary mineral water is formed at depths of around 2,500 metres below the Earth's surface. It is accessible to the public by means of 15 springs that differ in their temperature and dissolved carbon dioxide content. Depending on the differences in temperature and gas levels, the springs also differ in their curative effects.
Apart from having a positive effect on the entire digestive and locomotor system, the drinking cure aids in the purification of the organism.
Indications for Spa Treatment in Karlovy Vary
- Gastrointestinal diseases - some stomach, gullet and bowel diseases, both functional and organic, including acid reflux, stomach and duodenal ulcers, functional bowel disorders, such as habitual constipation, conditions after bowel infections and treated parasitosis, irritable bowel syndrome, or non-specific intestinal inflammations, such as Crohn's disease, idiopathic proctocolitis, or conditions after intestinal, stomach, gall bladder and biliary tract surgery, chronic liver and gall bladder diseases, conditions after acute hepatitis and toxic liver damage, chronic pancreatic disease, conditions after acute pancreatitis and pancreas or liver transplants.
- Metabolic disorders - diabetes, overweight and obesity, lipid metabolism disorders, or gout.
- Musculoskeletal diseases - degenerative disorders of the spine and large joints, functional spinal disorders.
- Paradonthosis - periodontal disease.
What Is the Drinking Cure?
Drinking mineral water is the most important part of the Karlovy Vary spa treatment. You should therefore pay adequate attention to it. Observe the drinking cure prescribed by your spa physician in terms of the specific mineral spring, consumed quantity and drinking times. The drinking cure is primarily prescribed before meals. You should use the 200g (200ml) cups and drink the mineral water for 3 to 10 minutes. A 5 to 10-minute break is recommended between individual cups.
The Drinking Cure Decalogue
The Karlovy Vary thermal mineral water is a complex, highly concentrated mixture of natural substances and as such, it is not intended for continuous or uncontrolled consumption.
- It is recommended to take the Karlovy Vary thermal mineral water only after consulting a qualified spa physician.
- In order to achieve its full curative effect, the Karlovy Vary thermal mineral water should be consumed at the spring fountains.
- It is recommended to drink the Karlovy Vary thermal mineral water from the traditionally shaped porcelain or glass cups.
- It is not advisable to combine the drinking cure with alcohol consumption or smoking of tobacco products. Passive inhalation of tobacco fumes is also harmful.
- As physical exercise is a part of the drinking cure, it is recommended to take the water while walking at slow pace.
- The drinking cure should be taken while mentally and physically relaxed and not in a hurry.
- It is recommended to repeat the drinking cure at intervals prescribed by the spa physician.
- The drinking cure is a small ritual and other clients should not be disturbed in its course.
- Mineral water should not be used to water the surrounding plants and it should not be poured on the floor of the colonnade premises.
- 10. When taking spring water from a spring vase it is not allowed to touch the spring stand or the discharge tubes.
Specialist´s opinion of the choice of Karlovy Vary thermal springs for drinking cure
The Balneological Institute of Karlovy Vary, the Association of Spa Facilities in Karlovy Vary and the Administration of Natural Curative Resources and Colonnades, which was charged with the care of the natural resources in Karlovy Vary by the Ministry of Health of the Czech Republic, recommend all spa visitors to consult experienced spa doctors when choosing a thermal spring suitable for drinking cure. Only these specialists with experience of many years and extensive knowledge are able to recommend the optimal way of using Karlovy Vary mineral water (i.e. drinking cure). Prescribing drinking cure is a highly professional thing complemented with years of practice and continuous extension of knowledge in the field of internal medicine, balneology and related branches of medicine.
No non-professional advice on which mineral spring is suitable for which diagnosis provided by so called specialists cannot be accepted. Each organism is unique and requires an individual approach which takes into account lots of factors (genetic, territorial, the whole complex of secondary diagnoses, personal features etc.) which must be judged by a qualified specialist, not by a layman. We do not agree with occurring information on the springs of Karlovy Vary which is not true and which misleads spa visitors.
While the basic composition of all thermal water vents is almost the same, individual springs differ in temperature, the amount of dissolved carbon dioxide, radioactivity and the concentration of secondary and trace elements.
The chemical composition of Karlovy Vary springs is extremely complicated, i.e. extremely interesting from the hydrogeological point of view. According to professional terminology it is thermal, hypotonic and strongly mineralized water of Na-HCO3SO4CI type (alkaline -Glauber-saline, by the older nomenclature alkaline-saline-muriatic). A high amount of pharmacodynamic elements plays an important part in the curative effect of these waters.