The tradition of the Karlovy Vary spa treatment is founded on the unique and rare natural resource - mineral water, the healing effects of which have been proven by centuries of practical experience.
The quality of mineral water has remained unchanged for centuries. The local mineral springs contain most elements of the periodic table and more than 40 elements vital for the human body are analysed on a general basis.
The Karlovy Vary mineral water is formed at depths of around 2,500 metres below the Earth's surface. It is accessible to the public by means of 15 springs that differ in their temperature and dissolved carbon dioxide content. Depending on the differences in temperature and gas levels, the springs also differ in their curative effects.
Apart from having a positive effect on the entire digestive and locomotor system, the drinking cure aids in the purification of the organism.
Indications for Spa Treatment in Karlovy Vary
- Gastrointestinal diseases - some stomach, gullet and bowel diseases, both functional and organic, including acid reflux, stomach and duodenal ulcers, functional bowel disorders, such as habitual constipation, conditions after bowel infections and treated parasitosis, irritable bowel syndrome, or non-specific intestinal inflammations, such as Crohn's disease, idiopathic proctocolitis, or conditions after intestinal, stomach, gall bladder and biliary tract surgery, chronic liver and gall bladder diseases, conditions after acute hepatitis and toxic liver damage, chronic pancreatic disease, conditions after acute pancreatitis and pancreas or liver transplants.
- Metabolic disorders - diabetes, overweight and obesity, lipid metabolism disorders, or gout.
- Musculoskeletal diseases - degenerative disorders of the spine and large joints, functional spinal disorders.
- Paradonthosis - periodontal disease.
What Is the Drinking Cure?
Drinking mineral water is the most important part of the Karlovy Vary spa treatment. You should therefore pay adequate attention to it. Observe the drinking cure prescribed by your spa physician in terms of the specific mineral spring, consumed quantity and drinking times. The drinking cure is primarily prescribed before meals. You should use the 200g (200ml) cups and drink the mineral water for 3 to 10 minutes. A 5 to 10-minute break is recommended between individual cups.
The Drinking Cure Decalogue
The Karlovy Vary thermal mineral water is a complex, highly concentrated mixture of natural substances and as such, it is not intended for continuous or uncontrolled consumption.
- It is recommended to take the Karlovy Vary thermal mineral water only after consulting a qualified spa physician.
- In order to achieve its full curative effect, the Karlovy Vary thermal mineral water should be consumed at the spring fountains.
- It is recommended to drink the Karlovy Vary thermal mineral water from the traditionally shaped porcelain or glass cups.
- It is not advisable to combine the drinking cure with alcohol consumption or smoking of tobacco products. Passive inhalation of tobacco fumes is also harmful.
- As physical exercise is a part of the drinking cure, it is recommended to take the water while walking at slow pace.
- The drinking cure should be taken while mentally and physically relaxed and not in a hurry.
- It is recommended to repeat the drinking cure at intervals prescribed by the spa physician.
- The drinking cure is a small ritual and other clients should not be disturbed in its course.
- Mineral water should not be used to water the surrounding plants and it should not be poured on the floor of the colonnade premises.
- 10. When taking spring water from a spring vase it is not allowed to touch the spring stand or the discharge tubes.