31. 1. 2013 | History
The first wooden promenade hall was built over Nový pramen (New Spring) next to the former Mill Bath between the years 1792 and 1793. It was the first structure of its kind in Karlovy Vary that allowed the spa guests to enjoy the waters of the springs also in unfavourable weather. In the early 19th century, the New Spring thus became more popular and more sought after than the remaining springs in Karlovy Vary. In 1811, the original wooden structure was replaced by the New Spring Colonnade, which was constructed also from wood by Dresden builder Johann August Giessel in Empire style.
The present-day Mill Colonnade was built in Pseudo-Renaissance style according to the design of distinguished Czech architect Josef Zítek between the years 1871 and 1881. The grand opening of the colonnade took place on 5 June 1881 at the occasion of the start of the spa season. During 1891 and 1892, a part of Bernardova skála (Bernard's Rock) was cut and removed and a new north pavilion over the seep of the Rock Spring was added to the colonnade. The largest colonnade in Karlovy Vary houses the seeps of five mineral springs. The attic gable is decorated with 12 sandstone allegorical statues representing the months of the year by sculptors Alfred Schreiber and Karl Wilfert. The orchestra pit is adorned with allegorical reliefs by local sculptor Václav Lokvenc.
Inside the largest colonnade in Karlovy Vary, you may find the seeps of five mineral springs: the Mill Spring, the Rusalka Spring, the Prince Wenceslas Spring, the Libuše Spring, and the Rock Spring.