Structure type: Pseudo-Gothic two-aisle church
Location: In the residential district of Westend on Zámecký vrch (Castle Hill) above the centre of Karlovy Vary
Period of construction: Between 1876 and 1877
Architect: Dr. Oskar Mothes
Official opening: 24 June 1877
How to get there
Route 1: A number of routes lead to the Church of Saint Lucas in the residential district of Westend. The shortest route is approximately 500 metres long and it will take you from the Hot Spring in the spa centre via Tržiště (Market) Street to the very end of Zámecký vrch (Castle Hill) Street.
Route 2: If you decide for the second route, take Bus No. 4 from Tržnice (Market) city bus terminal to the "U Jezírka" (By the Pond) stop in the vicinity of Malé Versailles (Small Versailles) and from there, walk 400 metres up Petr Veliký (Peter the Great) Street directly to the church.
History of the structure
The Pseudo-Gothic Anglican Church of Saint Lucas was constructed on a terrace on Zámecký vrch (Castle Hill) with the financial support of English spa guests by local builder Josef Slowak according to the design of Leipzig building councillor Dr. Oskar Mothes between the years 1876 and 1877. The foundation stone was laid in 1876. The new church was consecrated on 24 June 1877.
It replaced the no longer satisfactory Anglican church in Zahradní údolí (Garden Valley). The design was inspired by the romantic perception of the English Pseudo-Gothic style, which uses rough brickwork and adds an exotic touch to the whole structure. The two-aisle sacral structure has a ground plan in the shape of a Latin cross with monumental support pillars and its dome above the aisle intersection is dominated by an oblique wooden prismatic tower with a gallery. Renovation works were carried out in 1909 and 1910. The Church of St. Lucas is in the possession of the Evangelic Methodist Church. In these days there is Wax Museum in the Church.
Zámecký vrch 4
Anglican Church of Saint Lucas
Zámecký vrch 4